Tuesday 9 March 2010

Some Updates

Its been a couple of days so i think now is the time to go over some updates thats happened!

Firstly ive been revisiting the idea of trying to incorporate my weapon and map screen into unreal to intergrate it all into 1 file as well as being able to load my london map in from selecting it in map screen instead of having to exit the game and load the next one up, this transistion should help it feel more like a real game and i Think it seems doable with kismet and/or teleporters. I'd have it all in 1 map file but its not too realistic when my london map is already pushing the limits of what the engine will cope with so ill need to do it another way.

Alright what else we got, My hub map was being a bitch and causing runtime errors, i installed patch 5 on my laptop and managed to rebuild it and got it to cook (everytime previously id tried to cook it just crashed the engine) ..so i thought id fixed it..oh nice it works in game...but no! copy it back over to my pc and it runtimes again. This carried on for a good 2 days of taking snippets of kismet out and meshes and rebuilding and still be greeted with the same error, i remembered however UT creates a log file when you launch the game each time so i ran it again got my runtime error and found the log file, turned out my skydome was corrupted and needed replacing.
No idea how this happened as i hadnt tampered with the skydome at all is was just an unreal default one, but anyway i replaced it rebuilt and cooked it and now it all seems to be working so thats that fixed.

For now i dont really have any more screenies to show here, i havent been creating! for a few days instead im taking a look at getting some more of the document down, go into detail about my enviroments giving examples of misisons and basically explaining everything about the game i cant show in game due to either the engine or my own limitations (which combined is a damn lot) I think this will be good as i do have a lot of ideas for the mechanics and such and there is nowhere i can get them across in the engine and that will leave me more time just to focus on trying to get the levels looking as good as possible.

Im also looking into making another of my enviroments but in a different engine, ive looked at the editor in question and it seems doable, if anything it will be another showpiece for my showreel, a break from unreal (very much needed) and a good way to show i can create good levels in varied engines (well thats the idea)

No comments:

Post a Comment